The mission of the Fleet Library at RISD is to support the instructional and research needs of RISD faculty, students, alumni and staff, including the curators and staff of the Museum of Art. In addition, we are committed to provide scholarly resources for the larger artistic, academic, business and design community. Visitors are welcome to see the library and may purchase a membership for long-term use.
The Library is open to holders of the following cards:
· RISD Student, Faculty, Staff IDs
· RISD Alumni card
· Fleet Library at RISD membership card
· Athenaeum Membership card
· Brown University ID
· CRIARL card (Consortium of RI Academic & Research Libraries)
· Current student IDs from other RI + MA academic institutions (will need to sign in at both the security and circulation desks)
· Current RISD Continuing Education students with proof of registration may also use the library.
Others needing access to RISD's specialized resources will need to make an appointment with one of the librarians, See Ask A Librarian.
Due to the security requirements of the building, between 5:00 PM and 8:00 AM the building entrance will be RISD card access only. Until an hour before closing, library visitors will be buzzed into the building.
Visitors under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent, teacher or guardian.
- Visitors who wish to access the library on a regular basis and/or borrow books may purchase a library membership. Annual fees are as follows:
$25 Special rate for borrowing for Continuing Education Extension students and Rhode Island K-12 art teachers (NEA-RI members)
$125 Nonprofit (transferable among 4 individuals) One person must be designated as responsible for the use of the card. Each card admits only one person at any given time.
$225 Corporate (transferable among 4 individuals) One person must be designated as responsible for the use of the card. Each card admits only one person at any given time.
$1000 Corporate Sponsor: 4 individual cards. May make arrangements for one event per year, subject to availability and consistent with the needs of the Library and RISD.
- Fees are payable annually and membership may be purchased at any time during the year. Membership requires application and payment of the fee. The RISD Library retains the right to refuse membership and to determine the appropriate category of membership for applicants. Membership may be terminated at the discretion of the Library. Non-payment of fines or bills for 60 days and non-return of borrowed materials for 30 days are definite grounds for terminations.
Membership privileges include access to the library, borrowing up to 5 books at a time and up to 200 images from the Picture Collection, access to the library, and the ability to reserve conference/ classrooms up to twice a month on a space available basis.
- Visitors may make use of library computers, except laptop computers. Time on the computers may be limited.
- We are glad to offer reference and research assistance, but please understand that our priority is the RISD community.
- While the Copy/Print/Scan facility is intended primarily for the use of current students, faculty, and staff, public visitors may also make use of it; however, studio output, volume printing or copying, and use for commercial concerns are prohibited. Self-service public photocopiers and printers are used with copy cards, which can be purchased onsite.
- Visitors do not have the use of interlibrary loan, class reserves, or offsite access to licensed databases. Classrooms and conference rooms may be used on a space-available basis but may not be reserved more than one week in advance.
- Visitors should note that RISD is a private institution that allows the public through memberships in-library use of most collections and services. Priority for collections and services will go to the RISD community.